Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stephanie Corkery: Vagina Monologues' Director

I also sat down with the director of the Vagina Monologues, Stephanie Corkery a senior theater major,  and got her take on the show. 

 What made you interested in the Vagina Monologues?

I saw a production my senior year of high school at a nearby college and loved it. 

What was the best part about the production?

I love that girls of all backgrounds and levels of theatrical experience come together for this common cause. It's a really safe and encouraging environment and a really unique experience. There's a monologue for all comfort levels, so no one is excluded.  

Which is your favorite monologue? 

 This is hard. I cant even pick a favorite movie. I guess I would say. No I dont know if i can. They are all so different and portray different messages and themes that have to do with women, abuse, celebration, etc. If I absolutely have to pick i guess i would say the flood. Its the one about an old woman who is convinced to talk about her "down there" She tells the humorous story of how she got too excited and "flooded" all over some boy's car when she was young. She closed up shop and never got close to anyone and through the interview she opens up and finally accepts her womanhood. There is such a heart breaking moment when you find out she had cancer and lost everything down there. She is so optimistic about it and says that she's fine and sells antiques and goes to dog shows. It has humor, heartache, and honesty. such a great one but the others are excellence too. 



Thanks to Stephanie for taking the time for the interview! Stephanie and Anna both donated their time for a cause they believed in. I advocate my readers to do the same. Domestic Violence and violence against women is something that needs to be brought to the public's attention. There are many ways to get involved. Even going to the show is a small way that helps.  Becoming educated is the first step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment