Monday, April 11, 2011

The Night We Took Back

Take back the night was a huge success. There were 5 different stories or poems read by student volunteers. One of the monologues read was titled "My Short Skirt."


My short skirt is not an invitation 
a provocation 
an indication 
that I want it 
or give it 
or that I hook. 

  My short skirt 
is not begging for it 
it does not want you 
to rip it off me 
or pull it down. 

  My short skirt 
is not a legal reason 
for raping me 
although it has been before 
it will not hold up 
in the new court. 

  My short skirt, believe it or not 
has nothing to do with you. 

  My short skirt 
is about discovering 
the power of my lower calves 
about cool autumn air traveling 
up my inner thighs 
about allowing everything I see 
or pass or feel to live inside. 

  My short skirt is not proof 
that I am stupid 
or undecided 
or a malleable little girl. 

  My short skirt is my defiance 
I will not let you make me afraid 
My short skirt is not showing off 
this is who I am 
before you made me cover it 
or tone it down. 
Get used to it.

  My short skirt is happiness 
I can feel myself on the ground. 
I am here. I am hot. 
  My short skirt is a liberation 
flag in the women's army 
I declare these streets, any streets 
my vagina's country. 

  My short skirt 
is turquoise water 
with swimming colored fish 
a summer festival 
in the starry dark 
a bird calling 
a train arriving in a foreign town 
my short skirt is a wild spin 
a full breath 
a tango dip 
my short skirt is 
initiation 
appreciation 
excitation. 

  But mainly my short skirt 
and everything under it 
is Mine. 
Mine. 
Mine. 


To close Take Back the Night Stephanie Shatto spoke on behalf of the Julie Valentine Center (formally the Greenville Rape Crisis Center). Ms. Shatto informed the audience that sexual violence and abuse effects everyone. She shared a few statistics with the audience. One in six boys will be sexually abuse before they are 15. One particular statistic hit home with me. One in every four college women will experience some type of sexual harassment or assault before she graduates. That means in the room I am in now 4 girls have or will be a victim of sexual abuse. 

She ended the event by urging the audience to volunteer. Referring to the Julie Valentine Center: 

 " We were started by volunteers and need volunteers to help the community." 

Chances are, you have been victimized or personally know a victim of sexual assault. Volunteer your time for them, for the millions of men and women across the world who  are trying to take back the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment